Sunday, October 30, 2011

First flights and Hunting

The last two days have been my first on duty. I passed my 135 checkride on Friday. Everything went really well. The plane is the funnest I have ever flown and has sure been exciting the past two days. Been flying to places like Egegik, pilot point, port heiden, chignik lake, chignik lagoon, and chignik bay. Been awesome. All gravel strips and some are on the short side. We carry up to 9 people at a time and lately the planes have been full of mail, people, and cargo. I am starting to get the hang of it but it will take sometime to get good at. Things happen very fast. Time is money and we are trying to maximize profits. I don't think there is better flying anywhere in the world than this. It is so amazing the amount of weight the caravan can hold. Today I took off from King Salmon with 8 passengers and almost 3000 pounds of cargo. Pretty crazy. I also got complimented today on my landings. Which is a very big compliment when it comes from people who ride planes as often as people in the lower 48 drive their cars. Proud of that. Went hunting today with my roomate. Shot 3 snowshoe hares. Gutted them and skinned them. Going to have a local make me a winter hat. Going to eat them in a couple days. That is the kind of lifestyle out here. Everyone fishes and hunts. For work they do something in the canneries or with the airport. I live above the hangar here in King Salmon, Alaska. Apartment is a two bedroom and similar to a frat house in appearance. I am warming up to it just fine. I cleaned the bathroom and febreezed the whole apartment. This life is really fun but I do miss my family and of course my girlfriend Alex. It's hard not seeing her but I know she will stand by me as my carrier progresses. She is calling the apartment phone every night to talk which is nice. I can't call out. But we can receive calls. So if you are interested call the phone and ask for me. 1-907-246-3458. Anyways, I am off to sleep. Long Day tomorrow! Goodnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment